The Student Bible's proven, common sense approach to studying the Scriptures appeals to high school and college readers, as well as adults of every age. This compact edition offers more than just good looks and portability. Its thoughtful, carefully researched features will help you overcome common obstacles to reading and understanding the Bible.
Edited by award-winning authors Philip Yancey and Tim Stafford, this Bible enables you to understand what you read, find the topics you're looking for, and make real progress in your studies.
The newest feature is called the "Guided Tour," in which Philip Yancey takes the reader through the Bible, highlighting important passages that show the interconnectedness of the Biblical narrative from Genesis to Revelation. In Yancey's words, the goal of the authors and editors of this Bible is "Not to get the reader into the Bible, but to get the Bible into the reader."
The NIV Student Bible addresses the three most common complaints about the Bible:
- "I can't understand it." The NIV Student Bible makes it easy to understand what you read. In-text "Insights" and "Highlights" explain and help you think about what the Bible is saying. Profiles introduce you to "100 People You Should Know."
- "I can't find it." The "Where to Find It" reference section guides you comfortably around the Bible and supplies you with accessible definitions and important information.
- "The Bible is too big and intimidating." The "Guided Tour" offers an enriching six-month walk through the Bible, with devotional stops at significant points of interest. Or set your own pace with the two other options in the 3-track Reading Program, offering two-week or three-year reading plans.
- Book introductions and overviews summarize the content and point out important facts, themes and characters for each book of the Bible
- Updated subject guide points to the Bible's message on topics of interest
- Updated glossary of non biblical people and places
- Ministry of Jesus, Miracles of Jesus, Parables of Jesus and other useful indexes
- Timeline of Old Testament History
- "Lineup of Rulers" outlines the rulers of Israel and Judah
- Table of Weights & Measures
- Presentation Page
- Two-Column format
- Black letter edition
- Full color maps with index