The majority of Biblical commentary available to readers today is written from the perspective of white, Western, classically educated men. And while this perspective is valid and valuable, it is necessarily partial.The Women's Study Bible
, edited by Catherine Clark Kroeger and Mary J. Evans, seeks to redress this imbalance. The annotations and articles collected here don't simply look at passages about women. They look at all of Scripture from a woman's perspective, exploring questions that have special relevance for women. How does Scripture speak to women as they give birth and breast-feed, bandage and console, survive intolerable conditions, hold high office, and contemplate both shattered hopes and dreams fulfilled? What was daily life like for women in Biblical times? How do women represented in the Bible speak to women—and men—today? Each biblical book is accompanied by an introduction that lays out dating, authorship, and other historical information, as well as the larger themes of the book—both those specific to women and those that have a broader relevance. Helpful running annotations give more specifics, paying particular attention to the many women who appear in the Bible, highlighting passages that specifically address women and women's issues, and clarifying lessons that women might draw from more general passages. This edition uses the New Living Translation, an easy-to-read translation that employs gender-inclusive language. It also includes New Oxford Bible Maps, extensive back matter, as well as a helpful index to women in the Bible.
Written from a faith perspective by a wide range of both male and female scholars from around the world and from different denominational backgrounds, these study tools offer all readers a wealth of information and guidance.Features
- Book introductions laying out dating, authorship, historical, & thematic information
- Running annotations giving more specifics, with attention to the many women who appear in the Bible, highlighting passages that specifically address women & women's issues, and clarifying lessons that women might draw from more general passages.
- Complete text of New Living Translation
- Extensive back matter, including:
- Geography of the Bible
- Cultural Contexts
- Index of Women
- NLT Dictionary & Concordance
- New Oxford Bible Maps—Index & 16 pages of color maps
- Gilded page edges
- Ribbon marker